Monday, June 15, 2009

Through the Other Side


*In the middle of a power clean, nice face*


Through the Other Side

What is the worst thing that can happen?
I often ask myself this question before I attempt anything that is remotely off-putting or scary. Usually if the answer is short of death, I will attempt whatever challenge lies before me. However, on the rare occasion that partaking in an activity could push me six feet under, I will accept the challenge anyway. Yes, soy loca en la cabeza. But it makes for an interesting life.

This weekend, I attempted a feat that could have easily ended in death: three crossfit workouts in two days. For people who do crossfit, you know what I am talking about. For people who do not know crossfit, imagine this: first stretch your muscles beyond where you thought they would ever go, then go surfing and get pummeled into the rocky floor of the ocean, next run six miles, later have somebody jump on your biceps really hard, now take a sharp stick and plunge it into your eye...and do that all in a really hot room. Then do it all two more times. That's three crossfit workouts in two days.

I have to admit, it was fun.

This weekend I did just that. Not the "sharp stick into my eye bit," but I participated in Crossfit Ventura's affiliate cup qualifiers competition. Whoever did the best on these three workouts would represent Crossfit Ventura in the Crossfit Games in a month.

Beforehand I knew I had no chance of qualifying for our team due to an injury, but I did the workouts anyway.
You may be thinking:
"Why did you do that Jaala?"

I did it because it is a very rare occasion in our adult lives that we push our bodies to the limit just to see if we can come out the other side. The "other side" is whatever you choose to interpret it as. For me, it is going through those workouts and going so hard that I can't imagine giving one more ounce of my body, mind, or spirit if I had another chance. And then waking up the next day and wanting to do it again. That, to me, is fun.

I challenge you to experience my kind of fun for yourself and see how it feels when you come out on the other side.
Take your vitamins...and good luck.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home