Wednesday, July 15, 2009

The Converted


One can't help but be inspired when surrounded by hard-working, positive people. Since becoming a member of the Crossfit Ventura community, and by default a member of the global Crossfit community, I have affirmed this assertion.

But at first glance, I was a bit skeptical of the cultish-like feel that Crossfit emanated. I thought Crossfit may be something like a pyramid marketing scheme. I feared that I may be entering the Landmark Forum of fitness. I asked myself, "Could I really become a Crossfitter?"

My skepticism grew as every person I asked about Crossfit said the same thing, "It has changed my life, I am stronger than I have ever been, I eat in the Zone, and feel great." They had their own language and threw around terms like "clean and jerk," "snatch," and "WOD." Talking about "doing Josh" and "conquering Fran," or getting their asses whipped by the "filthy" were typical topics. Just like when Happy Gilmore was learning to putt, they joked that Crossfit was "all in the hips." I clutched my purse and hoped the sexual innuendos might stop.

I wondered to myself, "Does anyone dislike Crossfit out there?"
I found that the answer to this query was a resounding "YES."
But I was immediately reminded by a Crossfit lover that "...Crossfit isn't for everyone." He said that "... some people just don't like to work so hard they may puke; they don't like to feel they have accomplished something great everyday; they don't like to have a close community always supporting them..." I laughed and nodded at his sarcasm, but on the inside I was afraid that I would never be a Crossfitter.

Soon enough though, I fell down the rabbit hole; I realized that Crossfit was for me. Being a somewhat retired competitive athlete, the excitement of being on a team had been missing from my life. Having athletic goals was not a priority for me any longer. Crossfit brought that back to me. It brought friends who were goal-oriented, hard working, driven, concerned about their health, and supportive of each other to the forefront of my consciousness.

Now, I feel born-again, but in the church of sport.

After returning from a gig as a spectator at the Crossfit Games, this week I find myself among the converted. I caught myself making "snatch," "box," and "clean and jerk" jokes. I laughed at the rather vulgar shirt slogans (censored). I hugged my sinewy, healthy friends and vowed to place in the Southern California Qualifiers or to be on the Affiliate Cup Team next year. I told myself I would do a muscle-up by the end of this year. I wrote in my journal that I would be a badass when I could do ALL benchmark workouts as "Rx'd" (prescribed).

Then, before I went to bed last night I laughed and realized that it's too late to turn back now. Without even realizing it...I have become a Crosfitter.

Labels:

3 Comments:

At 8:14 PM , Blogger Mitch said...

Jaala, you are the bomb! You can do it !

 
At 12:07 PM , Blogger Jaala Thibault said...

Thanks Mitch...you are the bomb too!

 
At 1:02 PM , Blogger Jenna said...

I love this Jaala! I felt the same way when I started. Now there really is no turning back.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home